So 2017 is right around the corner. It feels like this year has just zipped by! I blinked and it’s almost over. So many amazing things have happened to our family, so much to be grateful for, a few things I hope to leave behind, and excited for the new year.
My parents, I’d say, are traditionally old school. They believe in old wives tales and superstitions. Raised me the same way. Hey! What does it hurt to make sure all your money is faced the same way? It may or may not bring abundance of fortune to my household, but I still do it!
New Years Eve in our house has always been full of superstitions I thought were so silly, until I had my own family. I look back at my parents lives. They’ve always had more than they needed, lived in great health, and always happy. So yes, I continue them in our family. And we’ve always have what we need and then some, great health, and always happy.
Today, I want to share with you those superstitions that we do for New Years Eve and New Years Day!
- First and foremost, eating black eyed peas on New Years Eve. You can make them any which way your heart desires! My mom always boiled them in hamhocks, I make a Cowboy Caviar. A bite of black eyed peas brings good luck for the new year!
- Eating greens brings prosperity. My mom would always alternate what greens we ate. In our house, we make a salad with spinach or romaine lettuce.
- Kissing someone at midnight. Well, why wouldn’t you kiss someone you love? The meaning behind this is to bring affection to your love life in every month of the upcoming year. Who doesn’t want more affection?! 🙋🏻 Love you boo!
- Eat 12 grapes at midnight. One for each month of the year. This brings more good luck for each month.
- No bare cupboards when midnight strikes! Otherwise they’ll be bare all year long. No body wants that!
- Open all your doors and cupboards minutes before midnight. This one my husband’s good friend shared with us. By opening the doors and cupboards, it lets all the bad out from the previous year.
- Make lots of noise! This ones my favorite! I remember as a kid being at my parent’s cabin, banging on pots and pans on the patio and my dad shooting off his gun! It was so much fun! Lol Some blow whistles, noise makers, and much more! The meaning behind this is to keep the evil spirits from entering your life in the coming year.
- Nothing goes out on the first day of the New Year. Trash can wait. Need to deliver presents or take a work bag with you? Load it in the car the night before. Taking things out New Years Day will mean you’ll be loosing things all year long.
- This one I’m totally okay with! Don’t clean New Years Day! The superstition claims you’re cleaning away the good fortune for the up coming year. So the laundry, dishes, and chores can wait!!
- Eat pork New Years Eve and New Years Day! Pigs root forward when they eat, and we all want to move forward! Also, it’s rich fat content symbolizes wealth and prosperity. Avoid chicken because they peck at the ground and move backwards to eat meaning you’ll be living in the past. Avoid beef because they stay in the same spot while they eat meaning you’ll not move forward.
There you have it! The superstitions our family do on New Years Eve and Mew Years Day! I would love to hear some of your you do as well!!
The New Year means new beginnings, fresh starts, reaffirming love and promises for a brighter future. A new year is like a blank book, and the pen is in your hands. It is your chance to write a beautiful story for yourself. Wishing you alll a very happy and blessed New Year. I cannot wait to see what’s in store!